10.17.2006

Well, it finally happened. Today I cried.
Stoic Sabrina, the one who couldn't shed a tear when she said goodbye to good friends she may not see for many years. Who didn't shed a tear of happiness when two near and dear cousins were recently married. Who didn't cry when listening to beautiful music sung to the praise of God among his saints in foreign places, beautiful places (only nearly did). Who didn't cry when she said goodbye to one robust and teary-eyed grandmother while being squeezed to death in a great big hug and not when she gave what might be the last goodbye kiss to a frail and feeble grandmother who doesn't even know her granddaughter anymore.
And not when she turned around, and marched resolutely into the airport with bag and backpack in tow after a cheery goodbye to a cousin she'd only recently begun to get reaquainted with (this is what the separation of many miles does) -after they travelled many miles together, both far from home.
But this morning, after packing once again and running around the house trying to get organized for the move to Eugene -everything taking twice as long as usual - loading up the car, getting groceries: that litany of ordinary things that must be done as life moves on. After settling into the drivers' seat and making my way nearly halfway to Eugene, enjoying the scenic drive on the I-5 (Oregon really is beautiful), I switched the cd in the player to a new old favorite (if you'll let me invent that category); I quickly skipped ahead to my favorite track: David Crowder's "All Creatures." It's one that Justine and I had been blasting in the car as we'd been driving from place to place, visiting friends and family throughout Southern Ontario.
And then, without even realizing it, I started to cry. This is me, Sabrina, dealing with emotional crap. Telling myself to get over it.
But then I stopped fighting and started thinking. And just drove though the tears, realizing God's goodness to me his child, feeling overwhelmed with love. His love for me. His graciousness to me. And to the ones that I love and who love me. To creation as a whole.
I only snapped out of it to stop speeding. As much.

So this late Canadian celebrated a late Thanksgiving this morning. It's good to be back.


All creatures of our God and King
Life up your voice and with us sing
O praise Him, alleluia
Thou burning sun with golden beam
Thou silver moon with softer gleam
O praise Him, O praise Him
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

Thou rushing wind that art so strong
Ye clouds that sail in heav'n along
O praise Him, alleluia
Thou rising moon in praise rejoice
Ye lights of evening find a voice
O praise Him, O praise Him
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

Let all things their Creator bless
And worship Him in humbleness
O praise Him, alleluia
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son
And praise the Spirit, three in One
O praise Him, O praise Him
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son
And praise the Spirit, three in One
O praise Him, O praise Him
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

O, alleluia, alleluia
(David Croweder, "All Creatures Pt. 2" from Illumination)

Alleluia and amen.

2 comments:

justine said...

:) good song. good times.

Kees said...

It's good to have a cry sometimes....not that I would know, because I am a rough and tough guy.