12.12.2006

My oma passed away earlier this evening. She'd been suffering from dementia for a long time and things had steadily been getting worse. When I visited her back in October, she didn't know me anymore at all, didn't interact with me or try to talk to me. She just pointed at my very pointy shoes (I'd rushed there straight from church) as if she wanted a pair too.

But today she is with the Lord! Her struggles against mental and physical infirmities are over.

We are all flying out to Ontario tomorrow morning and we'll be there for a week. My parents have just finished all the arrangements and we have to start packing. We're leaving for the airport in something like 4 hours.

On this, my last Christmas break --the last time I might be "home" for any length of time for Christmas -- I'd been beginning to realize that life gets more complicated and takes unexpected turns. I was looking to the future and wondering what was in store . . . not knowing, not understanding.

But I love this quote. I found it last week when I was reading Derek Thomas' sermons on the ascent psalms.

"I've learnt something. I've learnt something about trusting God, of who He is and what He's like, that I don't concern myself about great matters. Because there are things that happen in my life that are incomprehensible to me. I cannot make sense of them, even if I were to spend the rest of eternity trying to unravel all of its parts, I still couldn't make sense of it. But I'm not called upon to make sense of it. I'm called to believe that God makes sense of it, and that He works all things together for the good of those that love Him, and that He weaves a pattern that is so intricate, and yet so loving and gracious, that in every thread of your life there is a gold line in it of the grace and mercy of God."

Dr. Derek Thomas, in a sermon on psalm 131.

1 comment:

justine said...

hi!


thanks for the quotation.
it's funny how, sometimes, it feels like life is so crazy and you just need it to calm down vacation-style so you can focus on God. other times, it's like the craziness itself is what you need so that you can focus properly on Him.

maybe i'll see you while you're here.